Govt. National College, Sirsa was established in 1957 by a visionary Sh. P.S. Multani, the then Sub Divisional Officer (Civil) of Sirsa with the help of local people with their generous donations comprising about 36 acres in the heart of the city as a Private College named and styled as National College, Sirsa to cater to the Higher Educational needs of the entire area with all the three streams Arts, Commerce and Science, initially affiliated with Kurukshetra University. It was taken over by Haryana Government in the year 1979 and over the years its affiliating University kept changing by various governmental decisions and presently it is affiliated to Ch. Devi Lal University Sirsa. During these long years this college has flourished and achieved a lot in academics, cultural and sports activities but decreased in its geographical area as a number of institutions like Govt. College for Women, District Library, Bal Bhawan and Helen Keller Blind School etc. have been carved out of its land leaving only 18 acres with it. But institutions are not made by land only and G.N.C. Sirsa has proved it beyond any doubt.